200 (Single Player) 135 (Multiplayer)
Before Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, the melee was either a pistol whip or a bash with the butt of a rifle. After Call of Duty 4, the knife was kept as the main melee weapon. The default melee buttons are V for PC, Right thumb stick for XBox 360, and R3 on PS3.
Call of Duty 3Edit
The knife made a small appearance during the campaign when a German attacks the main character (Nichols) with a knife. He does not stab Nichols, but after this the knife does not make another experience. This knife was also a Hitler Youth Knife, as shown by the engraving on it saying "Blut und Ehre!" or "Blood and Honor!" in English.
Call of Duty 4: Modern WarfareEdit
This was when the knife made it's first appearance as the standard melee weapon. It has a range of about 5 feet, and has a short delay between the lunge and the hit. It is ALWAYS a one-hit kill except when playing Old School when it is a 2 hit kill. The only NPC appearance during the campaign is when Captain Price uses it in "Ultimatum" to execute an Ultranationalist.
Call of Duty: World at WarEdit
The knife in Call of Duty: World at War, the nife is slightly quicker, however shares the same stats as it Call of Duty 4 counterpart. It also has a distinct sound when used.
The knife is used in all nazi zombie maps as a starting weapon along with the M1911. Killing a zombie with the knife will give the player 130 points, as apposed to 60 for just killing them with a gun. The number of knife hits to kill is generally equal to the round number, making the knife innefective in the higher rounds.
In the Nazi Zombies map Der Riese, the Bowie Knife was available for 3000 and did a total of 1150 damage making it a one-hit kill up until round 12 in which zombies have 1200 health. The player would keep the Bowie Knife if re was not revived after being downed, however, this was removed in Black Ops.
In Multiplayer (and in the campaign in "Little Resistance), Bolt action Rifles along with the M1897 Trench Gun, M1 Garand, M1A1 Carbine, and the Type 99 could be equipped with a Bayonet, increasing the lunge distance of the melee attack. All of the bayonets are either knife or sword, with the exception of the Mosin Nagant's which is a spike bayonet.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2EditThe knife in this game was changed in range and appearance from that of it's prequel's counterpart. The range went from, 64 to 128. Also this was the first time NPC's would use the knife, however it is a very rare occurence.
This game also introduced the new Tactical Knife, an attachment for Handguns to make knifing the opponent easier, and the Throwing Knife available as equipment, similar to the Tomahawk in Call of Duty: Black Ops. Also both knives make an appearance during the campaign, tactical knife while using a USP, and the throwing knife to kill Shepard.
Call of Duty: Black OpsEdit
The knife returns again in Call of Duty: Black Ops with the same damage as it's counterparts, but less range than the Modern Warfare 2 knife.
Call of Duty: Black Ops introduced several new kinds of knives. Which are as follows:
- The Ballistic Knife was introduced as a new secondary special weapon which fires a deadly blade at your opponent and allows you to knife much quicker. Even though when the Ballistic knife is fired, it makes almost no sound, however still shows up on the Mini-Map.
- The Prison Knife, which appears to be a sharpened piece of glass, makes an appearance in "Vorkuta" as the primary melee weapon, this is also the only apearance in the game.
- The Karambit Knife is a curved knife used shortly during the mission "Executive Order."
- The SOG Knife, used as the primary silent weapon in "Victor Charlie"
- The Bowie Knife, introduced in Der Riese, and returning to Kino der Toten and "Five."
- The Sickle is used to replace the Bowie Knife in Ascension.
- The Bowie Knife/Sickle Ballistic Knife combo in Nazi Zombies.